Second Stage Development Plans
No significant development took place warranting the implementation of the Petrochem Park
along wiht the power plants and the Refinery envisaged in the Master Plan to generate additional
traffic through Ennore Port did not take off as planned. Even though Petrochem Park did not materialise,
there was demand for handling chemicals and LPG. There were strong indications of potential for
container traffic, the trade strongly felt the need for an alternative and competitive facility at
Ennore. Moreover the surge in container traffic especially in East coast ports indicated there would
be enough share for both chennai and Ennore ports.
In order to equip the port to handle the traffic forecast stated above, the port initiated in 2008
and the Second Stage Development consisting of the following projects:
- Marine Liquid Terminal - I
- Coal Terminal for non-TNEB coal
- Iron Ore Terminal
- Container Terminal-Phase-1
- LNG Terminal
- Car Export Terminal
- Deepening the Port to handle cape size vessels (150000 DWT)
Subsequent to the Second stage development plans,based on the demand in the trade and potential
of the port, EPL has planned the further development of facility like
- Additional coal berths for handling additional coal requirement of TNEB/JV of TNEB.
- Second and Third container terminal in a dock basin that can be created to the east of
General cargo berth.
- Second Marine Liquid Terminal to the south of the first terminal.
With all the developmetns included in the Master Plan, it is envisaged that Ennore
Port will be able to handle an annual traffic of 126 Million Tonnes plus 2 lakh